Children's ServicesThe Children's Department maintains the children's collections and programs at the Monticello-Union Township Public Library. Throughout the year, programs and activities are offered that are educational and entertaining. We are a community partner in supporting children's early language and literacy development.
Certain ongoing programs are offered all year round. Please check our calendar to confirm dates and times.
- Popcorn and a Movie: The Children's Department screens popular G and PG rated movies monthly and is sponsored by Gutwein Popcorn Company. Showings may feature a themed craft, game, or snack to go with the movie!
- Lego League: Join our LEGO League for children in Grades K-5. Kids can build and display LEGO creations and we will put them in our display case for the week. We provide the LEGOs; you supply the creativity! Lego League is held on Mondays from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- LittleBits: LittleBits electronics club meets every second Tuesday of the month from 3 to 4:30 p.m. and every second Saturday of the month from 11 to 12 p.m. This is a great STEM activity brought to the library thanks to a grant from the Institute and the Indiana State Library.
- Children's Arts and Crafts: Children of all ages can join us on the first Saturday of each month at 11 a.m. to create a craft. Check to see if registration is required, as some crafts feature limited supplies.
Enjoy stories, finger plays, music and activities in a family-friendly, positive environment. Early literacy programs are geared for children and adult partnership. This is also a great way to get your child familiar with other children socially and help improve skills through reading, talking, playing, singing and writing.
- Join us for our Winter session, where topics will range from under the sea to bugs to Valentine's Day and more! Baby/Toddler storytime meets on Wednesdays at 10 a.m. and it is open to little ones from birth to age 3. Preschool storytime meets on Thursdays at 10am. Open to children ages 3 -5. Both will go until April 24 and 25 but will not be meeting during Spring Break (March 25-29) to make way for our annual Easter Egg Hunt.
The Monticello-Union Township Public Library is pleased to present 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, an early literacy reading book club at the library. This program encourages parents/adults to read to children from birth to age 5. Studies have shown that if you read 1,000 books to a child before school, it will mentally prepare them for school.
For every 200 books, read, the child will receive an incentive until they reach 1,000. We also have a huge sticker chart behind the children's desk so everyone can see your progress! If interested, please stop by the children's department to get a reading log. Then check out some books and start working your way to 1,000!