Children's ServicesThe Children's Department maintains the children's collections and programs at the Monticello-Union Township Public Library. Throughout the year, programs and activities are offered that are educational and entertaining. We are a community partner in supporting children's early language and literacy development.
Certain ongoing programs are offered all year round. Please check our calendar to confirm dates and times.
- Lego League: Join our LEGO League for families of all ages. . Kids can build and display LEGO creations and we will put them in our display case for the week. We provide the LEGOs; you supply the creativity! Lego League is held on Mondays from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- S.T.E.M. Club : The Club meets every Tuesday before the 2nd Saturday of the month from 3 to 4:30 p.m. and every second Saturday of the month from 10 to 12 p.m. Kids are free to explore and invent on their own. We have LittleBits, Dot & Dash Robots, Bloxels and Cardboard Tool Box. For the Littles we have a Code-a-Pillar and Duplo Blocks on the storytime rug. We provide lots of cardboard, tape, pom-poms! The kids just need to provide their imaginations.
- Children's Arts and Crafts: Children of all ages can join us on the first Saturday of each month at 11 a.m. to create a craft. Check to see if registration is required, as some crafts feature limited supplies.
- Pop Up Craft Days! - Sometimes we have extra craft supplies and projects that we will throw our on our tables for the kids to use in whatever fashing they want. Watch our social media for dates and times!
- Quilting with Miss Marie! This September Miss Marie (formaly from the Crazy Lady Quilt Shop) will lead a small group in making their own lap quilt. Registration is required.
- Take It Make It - Check at the Children's Circulation Desk for our current Take it Make it. During school breaks such as Fall Break, Christmas & Spring Break, we usually have several that the kids can pick up.
- Library Scavenger Hunts - Who know what you can find and learn with one of our Children's Room Scavenger Hunts. From learning another language, I Spy or fun animal facts, there is lots of fun and a prize from our treasure book at the end.
Enjoy stories, finger plays, music and activities in a family-friendly, positive environment. Early literacy programs are geared for children and adult partnership. This is also a great way to get your child familiar with other children socially and help improve skills through reading, talking, playing, singing and writing.
- Dog Days of Summer. August - When the big kids go back to school, the Littles celebrate the end of summer with Silly and Messy projects on the Patio! From Sidewalk Chalk Paint to Water Play we will have a lot of fun with Mr. Duffers at the helm.
- Fall Storytimes - They will start on September 8th on Wednesdays at 10 a.m. and end on December 8th with our Christmas Party. Babies through Preschool are welcome as well as homeschool kiddos. We will be winding our way through the alphabet for 2021-2022. Look for us on the patio or in the program room depending on the weather!
- Winter/Spring Storytimes will switch to Tuesdays in January starting on the 11th. The time will still be 10 in the morning!
Halloween Bash - October 26, 2021 5-7 pm -Join us for two hours of fantastic fun! Perry Warren the magician will WOW us with his talent for the first part!
Then we will have games in the Program Room and Children's area. Every child will receive a punch card they will use during the evening. The kids who attend the magician part will receive receive 5 punches on their card and a punch for playing each game (1 per game)! Punch cards can be turned in for a chance at our grand prizes (10 punches) and for a bag a CANDY!!!!!
Read for the Record, October 28th, 2021 all day - Stop by the Children's Desk and read the book, "Amy Wu and the Patchwork Dragon". Help us remind everyone how important literacy and books are for our children.
Monticello Trunk & Treat, October 30th, 2021, 2-5 pm - The library will be at the Monticello Trunk & Treat. Look for our Monster Trunk full of goodies.
International Game Week - November 8-13, 2021 - Come as a family or with your friends and try a new game or two. We have lots of board games from which to pick. The boxes are on the shelves by graphic novels. Just bring the empty box up to the Children's desk and we will trade you for the game. We have three tables where you can play.
Visit with Santa, December 15th, 2021 5-6:30 pm - Join the Library in Welcoming Santa back into the Children's Room! In addition, we will have fun activities in the
Program Room including making an ornament for your own Christmas Tree.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
The Monticello-Union Township Public Library is pleased to present 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, an early literacy reading book club at the library. This program encourages parents/adults to read to children from birth to age 5. Studies have shown that if you read 1,000 books to a child before school, it will mentally prepare them for school. FUN FACT! You don't have to read 1,000 different books in fact the studies show that it is the interaction between you, them and the books that makes the difference. So count that favorite bedtime book with a ditto!
For every 100 books read, kids will recieve a small prize and a keychain charm. If interested, please stop by the children's department to get a reading log. Then check out some books and start working your way to 1,000!