Children's ServicesThe Children's Department maintains the children's collections and programs at the Monticello-Union Township Public Library. Throughout the year, programs and activities are offered that are educational and entertaining. We are a community partner in supporting children's early language and literacy development.
Programs are offered in a variety of shapes sizes and tastes all year round. Please check our calendar to see all our programs.
- Popcorn and a Movie: The Children's Department screens popular G and PG rated movies the second Thursday of every month. Popcorn and fun abounds. Movies begin at 5:30 p.m. in the program room. Registration is not required. Sponsored by Gutwein Popcorn Company.
- Lego League: Join our new LEGO League for children in Grades K-5. Kids will build and display LEGO creations based around a weekly theme. We provide the LEGOs; you supply the creativity! Lego League is held on Mondays at 3:30 p.m.
- Children's Arts and Crafts: Join us on the first Saturday of each month to create crafts. January 6 at 11 a.m. Create a polar bear mask. For children in grades K-5th.
Enjoy stories, finger plays, music and activities in a family, friendly, positive environment. Early literacy programs are geared for children and adult partnership. This is a great way to get your child familiar with other children socially, help improve their reading skills through reading, talking, playing, singing and writing.
- Toddler Time with Babies: Tuesdays at 10 a.m. January 24 & 31 at 10 a.m. Ages Birth-23 months, 2 & 3 years old.
- Pre-School Story: Wednesdays at 10 a.m. January 25 at 10 a.m. Ages 4 & 5.
The Monticello-Union Township Public Library is pleased to present 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, a new early literacy reading book club at the library. This program encourages parents/adults to read to children from birth to age 5. Studies have shown that if you read 1,000 books to a child before school, it will mentally prepare them for school.
For every 200 books, read, the reading team will receive an incentive until they reach 1,000. The library started a soft launch of this program with story hour children, but in April will be opening up the program to anyone who would like to join in.
We will also have story hours in the summer and another adult workshop for Every Child Ready to Read in May. A celebration party, for those participating, will be held in May. This program has been made possible by a grant from Women Giving Together.
So join in on the fun and come in to children’s and get a reading log, check out some books and start working your way to 1,000!